what happened to /dev/xvdd in my instance?
Yiping Zhang
2018-12-06 17:24:49 UTC
Hi, All:

I am working on a script to handle data disks. So, I added a few data disks to my instance. Then I noticed that in listVolumes api output, the third data disk actually has a deviceid 4, instead of 3 as I would expect. Sure enough, in the guest OS, I see three data disks as /dev/xvdb, /dev/xvdc, and /dev/xvde. There is no device /dev/xvdd.

Why does CloudStack skip device /dev/xvdd? I have verified this behavior on both ACS versions 4.9.3.0 and 4.11.2.0.

Yiping
Andrija Panic
2018-12-06 17:45:56 UTC
That's a funny - and true observation - I also reproduced the same - during
hotpluging disks, and also during booting instance with already attached
disks - BUT inside VM, there are vda, vdb, vdc, vdd disks (no vde, as can
be seen in VM XML)

I though it might had something to do with ISO files, but these are (as it
seems) always attached as IDE (sdc in my case/test).

I'm still assuming this is done due to some reservations
Andrija Panić
Andrija Panic
2018-12-06 17:59:34 UTC
in 4.8, it's VDC that is "reserved" / missing

virsh dumpxml i-2-5748-VM | grep vd
<target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>
<target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
<target dev='vdd' bus='virtio'/>